- A deactivated yeast with a nutty, cheesy, savory flavor. Just 1-2 tablespoons can add richness to soups, dips and spreads. Larger quantities of this wonder yeast can be used to make “cheese” sauce for vegan macaroni and cheese, lasagna or other cheesy dishes.
- It is laden with vitamins and minerals, specifically B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein.
- Depending on the brand, nutritional yeast can be high in vitamin B12, which is exclusively found in animal products and is essential for a healthy brain and nervous system, as well as red blood cell formation. Just 1/2 tablespoon of this wonder yeast meets your daily requirement of B vitamins.
- It cannot be used as a substitute for active dry yeast or baking yeast.
- It is available in two forms: flakes and powder. If you’re using the powder, you will need only about half as much as the flakes.