Deliciously Ella first introduced me to the plant-based diet. For many years, I thought that the plant-based diet was practically void of any essential nutrients, especially unsaturated fatty acids. Back then, I was ignorant on the subject and couldn’t imagine a life without eating salmon. Gosh, was I wrong!
The first recipe that I made from Ella Woodward’s blog was the roasted red pepper and paprika hummus. Her recipe is great, but I like to tweak it a bit to give it my own flavor. I actually made it for a party that I recently catered and it was a total success. I hope that you will like it as much as the party guests did. Enjoy!
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 400g canned chickpeas
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoon tahini
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lemon
- red chili flakes, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Remove ribs and seeds from pepper and cut into squares.
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add pepper and toss frequently.
- Cook for roughly 6-8 minutes until veggies are crisp and tender.
- Remove from stove and let veggies cool off.
- Squeeze the lemon and then add its juice and all other ingredients, except the veggies to your food processor.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once the veggies have cooled off, add them to the food processor with the hummus and blend until desired consistency is reached.
- Add salt, black pepper and red chili flakes for extra seasoning.