On Tuesday, I combined two of my favorite hobbies: baking and watching soccer. While watching the international friendly between Germany and Italy (4:1!!!), I made super delicious banana apple chunks bread. This outlandishly good bread is very rich in nutrients (Yay!). Most of the ingredients are excellent sources of fiber, protein, potassium and antioxidants, just to name a few. This bread is the ultimate guilt-free, healthy vegan dessert. Dessert? Eat it whenever you want! This bread delivers yummy wholesome goodness in every bite. That’s what I call my kind of bread! Smile! 🙂
Recommendation: brighten up someone’s day with homemade banana bread. Give some slices to a close friend or to someone you barely know such as your postman. The reward: greater happiness for both of you! If you don’t believe me read, then I recommend you to read Happier by Tal Ben-Shahar and/or The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin (BTW, these are truly great self-help books).
Interesting Soccer Fact: Germany’s victory on Tuesday was its first against Italy in 20 years.
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 1 flax egg ( 1 tbsp. flax seed meal + 3 tbsp. of water – let mixture rest for roughly 5 minutes!)*
- 1-2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 3/4 cups light spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice or nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (Grade A)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk combined with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Note: * you can substitute 3 tablespoons of applesauce for 1 flax egg.
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC.
- Coat your loaf pan with some vegan margarine or coconut-/canola oil.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and allspice to a large bowl and whisk ingredients until well-distributed.
- Add banana, sugar, maple syrup, oil, milk mixture, flax egg, and vanilla extract to a medium-sized bowl and whisk until well-combined.
- Add wet- to dry mixture and mix ingredients thoroughly together using a spatula.
- Fold in the apple chunks and pour batter into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle some chopped walnuts over the top to give it even more oomph.
- Bake for roughly 50 minutes (do a toothpick test to check for doneness!) and then let bread rest in pan for another 15 minutes before transferring the bread on a cooling rack.