I love going to concerts and I always find it kind of hilarious when an artist tries to speak German. It is truly a difficult language to learn, so I give them credit for trying. Usually their vocabulary is limited to “Ich liebe Deutschland” or “Dankeschön”. At a recent Macklemore & Ryan Lewis concert in Hamburg, Germany, Macklemore introduced the song “Let’s Eat!” by saying something along the lines of “I love Schnitzel and Bratwurst, not Sauerkraut”. Schnitzel is originally from Austria (Whoops!), but who cares! That’s how you get an audience of 7,000 Germans screaming for joy. Food unites the world…haha…
Recently, I finally baked my first batch of delicious vegan pretzels. These “Brezeln” are made with fiber-rich spelt flour (my favorite flour!); are super fluffy; and ultra delicious. To top it off, they are truly easy to make. Fantastisch!
Serving: ~ 6 pretzels
- 2 cups light spelt flour
- 1/2 oat flour* or whole grain spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil – I used canola oil!
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1.5 liters water
- course salt for sprinkling
* If you don’t have any oat flour, simply grind a 1/2 cup of rolled oats in a food processor for about 60 seconds.
- Mix flours and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine yeast, maple syrup and water in a small bowl. Stir and then let mixture rest for roughly 10 minutes.
- Add flour mixture, oil and yeast mixture to food processor and knead until a moist and elastic, but not sticky, dough is formed, i.e. roughly 5-8 minutes at medium speed.
- Form dough into a ball and place it in a large bowl greased with some oil.
- Cover bowl with a dish towel and let dough rest for roughly 30-40 minutes or until they are about twice their original size.
- Preheat the oven 200 ºC.
- Line baking tray with parchment paper and set it aside.
- Uncover dough and knead/punch it to eliminate all the air bubbles.
- Cut dough into 6 equal sections and roll each section out into a long rope.
- Shape the dough ropes into individual pretzels. Here’s a tutorial on how to shape pretzels.
- Combine baking soda and 1.5 liters of water in a cooking pot.
- Bring water mixture to a boil.
- Using a skimmer, dunk a pretzel into the boiling water for roughly 30 seconds.
- Afterwards, place pretzel on the parchment paper and sprinkle it with course salt.
- Repeat steps 13 and 14 for the remaining pretzels.
- Bake pretzels for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Guten Appetit!