Calling all banana fans in search of the ultimate breakfast muffin! Your search is finally over, as I have just what you are looking for. This recipe makes the most moist and chewy vegan banana walnut muffins ever. These soft and crunchy muffins are not only extremely flavorful, but also packed with potassium, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber; and thus these wholesome sweeties help lower the risk of osteoporosis, hypertension, stroke, kidney stones, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes. Simply amazing!!! 🙂
Yield: 12 Standard Muffins
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons ground flax meal + 6 tablespoons water)
- 1 1/2 cups light spelt flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana (roughly 4 medium-sized or 3 large bananas)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts + 1/2 cup chopped walnuts as topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 ºC.
- Grease 12 muffin tins with vegan margarine or oil.
- In a small bowl, prepare flax eggs by combining ground flax meal and water. Let mixture rest for about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, oats, baking soda and salt until all ingredients are well-distributed.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir mashed banana, sugar, maple syrup, applesauce, oil, vanilla extract, and flax eggs until all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Combine wet- and dry mixtures and stir ingredients until well-combined.
- Fold in a 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts.
- Fill each tin about two-thirds full with batter.
- Sprinkle some chopped walnuts over the tops.
- Bake for roughly 18 to 22 minutes or until muffins pull away from the sides of the tin. Do the toothpick test to check for doneness!
- Cool muffins in tins for about 5 minutes and then transfer muffins to a cooling rack.
- These muffins normally keep in an airtight container at room temperature for roughly 3-4 days.