I haven’t had much luck with baking lately. For the past week and a half, I have been struggling with a chocolate chip cookie recipe. Chocolate chip cookie recipe!?!? Yup! I have already made countless batches. Either the taste was off or the appearance was less than desirable or both. I simply was so determined to create the perfect cookie that I failed masterfully at it. Haha…I need to chill out about it! Once I do, making these goodies will be a breeze. Om!
To lift my spirits, I needed a successful baking session. Of course, I decided to make something that I had never tried before. Going from one challenge to the next! Yippee! So much for getting my zen back! Haha…I opted for a seasonal quick bread: rhubarb walnut bread. This bread has a ultra fresh, spring-like taste and instantly sends your tastebuds in a dancing frenzy. After just one bite, my mood was instantly lifted to whole ‘nother level of happy. Sometimes happiness is just a recipe away! Smile! 🙂
Health Check: Rhubarb is a superfood that is loaded with vitamins, minerals, organic compounds and other essential nutrients, which, for instance, help lower the risk of osteoporosis, heart disease and Alzheimer’s. One cup of rhubarb provides the body with 105 mg of calcium, which is about 10 % of an average adults daily calcium requirement – sweet!
- 2 cups diced rhubarb – remove the leaves! They are poisonous!!!
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flax seed meal + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk + 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 ºC.
- Coat your loaf pan with some vegan margarine or coconut-/canola oil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine rhubarb, brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Set aside 1/4 cup of both the rhubarb mixture and the chopped walnuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, and salt until all ingredients are well-distributed.
- Prepare vegan buttermilk by combining non-dairy milk and lemon juice. Stir and set aside.
- Prepare flax egg by combining flax meal and water. Stir and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine maple sugar, maple syrup, canola oil, milk mixture, flax egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until all ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Add wet- to dry mixture and mix ingredients thoroughly together using a spatula.
- Fold in 3/4 of both the rhubarb mixture and the chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle the rest of the rhubarb mixture and the chopped walnuts over the top to give it even more oomph.
- Bake for roughly 55-60 minutes (do a toothpick test to check for doneness!) and then let bread rest in pan for another 15 minutes before transferring the bread on a cooling rack.