I love to jazz up pasta and sandwiches with fresh homemade pesto. This basil walnut pesto takes only a few minutes to make and tastes heavenly. Naturally, it doesn’t have any parmesan and thus it is dairy-free. This ultra tasty sauce provides such an explosion of flavor that it is destined to become a staple in your pantry.
- 1 1/2-2 cups fresh, loosely packed, washed stemmed basil
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1 or 2 medium cloves of garlic
- 1/4-1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Mix basil, walnuts and garlic into a course meal using the pulse option on your food processor.
- Add 1/4 cup vegetable oil to the mixture and pulse the ingredients until your preferred consistency has been reached. Feel free to add more vegetable oil, if desired. I like my pesto to have a somewhat coarse texture. Whatever works!
- Season with sea salt for taste.
- Use immediately or store in fridge for later use.
- Smile for you have just made delectable vegan pesto! 🙂
BTW: this basil walnut pesto goes superbly with whole-wheat pasta topped with vegan cashew “parmesan”.