Since adopting a plant-based diet, I have become not only more creative in the kitchen, but also much more willing to try food that in the past did not appeal to me like, for instance, avocados. For 20+ years, I had such a strong dislike of the thick, creamy texture of avocados that I would only eat them when they were incognito, meaning mixed with other ingredients to the extent that I did not notice that I was eating avocados. Gosh, did I miss out! So many avocado-free years! Ahh!
How could you not love these heart-healthy super fruits? Since joining the avocado fan club, my numero-uno avocado dish is avocado on whole-grain toast. This whenever-dish requires only a few simple ingredients; is prepared in minutes; and tastes incredible. The red chili flakes give not only each bite an extra oomph, but also boost your metabolism: win-win!
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 lime
- salt, to taste
- grounded black pepper, to taste
- red chili flakes, to taste
- Toast two slices of whole-grain bread.
- Cut the avocado in half and scoop out the flesh of one half.
- Put flesh in a small bowl and drizzle it with the juice of half a lime.
- Add a dash of salt, pepper and chili flakes.
- Mash ingredients with a fork.
- Taste and if necessary, add more lime juice, salt etc.
- Spread the creamy deliciousness on both slices of toast. For an extra kick, add another sprinkle of red chili flakes.