Gee, the last couple of weeks have been fun, but also somewhat hectic. I don’t know what it is about Christmas, but it stresses everybody out. I tried to avoid all the stress by spending some quality time in the kitchen.
Recently, I bought a ton of apples because I wanted to try various apple recipes. One of the first recipes I tried was this one for vegan carrot apple muffins. These sweeties have a light and fluffy texture and are packed with beta carotene-laden carrots and heart-healthy apples. Allspice & Co. give these beauties an extra oomph and inspire your taste buds to do the robot. Press play and get baking!
Serving: 12 muffins
- 1.5 flax eggs (1.5 tablespoons ground flax seeds and 4 tablespoons water)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable margarine
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup grated carrots – be generous!
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1.5 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 190 °C.
- Prepare your muffin tins with liners.
- Mix flax seeds and water in a large bowl and let mixture rest for roughly 5 minutes.
- Add mashed banana, maple syrup and vanilla extract and whisk to combine.
- Add applesauce, margarine, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and mix all ingredients together until well-combined.
- Add milk (combined with vinegar) and give mixture a quick mix.
- Add grated carrots and quick mix.
- Add oats and flour and mix to combine.
- Divide mixture evenly among 12 muffin tins and fill up to the brim. Top each with chopped walnuts.
- Bake for roughly 30 minutes or until golden-brown. Do the toothpick test to check for doneness: poke toothpick in center of muffin; if it comes out clean, then your masterpieces are ready to leave the oven.
- Once out of oven, let muffins set in pan for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let them cool off completely to prevent any of the goodness from sticking to the wrapper.
- Once cooled, store either in an air tight container or freeze to keep fresh.
I have the following soundtrack on repeat at the moment. Such a great track!